Wednesday 6 August 2008

Existential funk

One of my favorite phrases of the moment is “Existential funk” as in “I’m having a bit of an existential funk”

However, I have realised that I am not exactly sure what existential means and therefore if I was in a ‘funk’ of it, I better find out if is describing what I want it to describe, otherwise things could get messy.

Thanks to Wikipida I can say that an existential crisis can result from:
A sense of being alone and isolated,
The realization of one's own mortality, or the realization that there may be no afterlife or a negative afterlife; or
A realization that one's life may have no destined, supernatural, or in some cases external purpose or meaning.

An existential crisis describes a state of panic or feeling of intense psychological discomfort about questions of existence.

So, all in all, while it may be a little deep for what I am intending, I think its defo along the right lines.

No comments: